town of San Biagio Platani is set at 416m a.s.l. in the province
of Agrigento, on a plateau gently sloping towards the valleys of
the Platani and Turvoli rivers. The city, totalling over 5,600 inhabitants,
has an agricultural economy, with remarkable outputs of citrus fruits,
almonds and grapes. The craft is equally developed, notably the
iron and wood working.
city is also renowned for the celebrations of Easter’s week
when, richly decorated with arches made from diverse materials,
it witnesses the meeting between the Virgin Lady’s and the
Risen Christ’s statues, which is the climax of the festival.
A procession of people in rich costumes along a scheduled route
is also worth-seeing. A set of religious events, conferences, exhibitions
and concerts complete the schedule.
Battista Berardi was the founder of San Biagio Platani, in 1635.
The successive Lord of the town was Diego Ioppolo who was proclaimed
city is laid out on a rectangular grid grown around the Viale delle
Vittorie, the main street. Its major architectonic attractions are
the Mother Church, dedicated to Saint Biagio, and the 1700’s
Chiesa del Carmine.