The city of Cattolica Eraclea stands at 180m asl, in the Agrigento
province, in proximity to the Platani river’s valley. Its
about 6,200 inhabitants mainly live on farming for livelyhood.
Eraclea was founded in 1610 by Don Biagio Isfar et Corilles, Baron
of Siculiana, and, successively, was ruled by the Boscos. Its
second name was added after the Italian Unification, as a reminder
of its close link with Eraclea Minoa, an ancient city located
by the mouth of the Ippari river.
city offers some attractive buildings such as the Mother Church
dedicated to the Holy Spirit, the Town Hall and the former Baron
Palace, refurbished in the 18th century. In its surrounding territory
are several naturalistic sites like the Gorgo Lake district, being
a favorite stopping place for migratory birds.